We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Oct/2017) NavTalks seminars have started for a new year of discussions!
- José Rufino, “Non-intrusive Observation and Runtime Verification of Avionic Systems”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, Dec. 2018.
- José Rufino, “Hardware Support for Non-intrusive Runtime Verification on Processor Technologies”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, Dec. 2018.
- Ivo Vacas, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Detecting Network Threats using OSINT Knowledge-based IDS”, in Proceedings of the 14th European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC), Sept. 2018.
- Luis Sacramento, Ibéria Medeiros, João Bota, Miguel Correia, “FlowHacker: Detecting Unknown Network Attacks in Big Traffic Data using Network Flows”, in Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), Jul. 2018.
- José Rufino, Felix Dino Lange, Martin Leucker, Torben Scheffel, Malte Schmitz, Daniel Thoma, António Casimiro, “Non-intrusive Runtime Verification within a System-on-Chip”, Ada User Journal, Jun. 2018.
- Roberto Ponte, Ibéria Medeiros, Miguel Correia, “Fuzzing Ethereum Smart Contracts (research statement)”, in DSN Workshop on Byzantine Consensus and Resilient Blockchains (BCRB), Jun. 2018.
- Miguel Garcia, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Alysson Bessani, “SieveQ: A Layered BFT Protection System for Critical Services”, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 511–525, Jun. 2018.
- José Rufino, António Casimiro, Antónia Lopes, Frank Singhoff, Stéphane Rubini, Valérie-Anne Nicolas, Mounir Lallali, Mourad Dridi, Jalil Boukhobza, Lyes Allache, “NORTH - Non-intrusive Observation and RunTime verification of cyber-pHysical systems”, Ada User Journal, Jun. 2018.
- Stéphane Rubini, Valérie-Anne Nicolas, Frank Singhoff, José Rufino, “A Real-Time System Monitoring driven by Scheduling Analysis”, Ada User Journal, Jun. 2018.
- Henrique Mendes, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Validating and Securing DLMS/COSEM Implementations with the ValiDLMS Framework”, in Proceedings of the Workshop on Security and Dependability of Critical Embedded Real-Time Systems (CERTS), Jun. 2018.
|Miguel Garcia||presents||BFT-controllers for Intrusion-tolerant systems|
|Fernando Ramos||presents||Logically centralising the Software-Defined Network|
|José Rufino||presents||NORTH - Non-intrusive Observation and RunTime verification of cyber-pHysical systems|
|António Casimiro||presents||Membership-based Maneuver Negotiation in Safety-critical Vehicular Systems|
Past Navtalk Events