We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Sep/2016) A H2020 research project lead by the Navigators group has started. The project is called: DiSIEM - Diversity enhancements for SIEMs
- (1/July/2016) We have initiated a new FCT research project. The project is called: IRCoC - Intelligent Resilience for Cloud-of-Clouds Services
- (1/Jan/2016) We have started a collaboration project with colleagues from Brasil, which is supported by CAPES-FCT. The project is called: Resilient Supervision and Control in Smart Grids
- Pedro Costa, Fernando Ramos, Miguel Correia, “Chrysaor: Fine-Grained, Fault-Tolerant Cloud-of-Clouds MapReduce”, in IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), May 2017.
- Max Alaluna, Eric Vial, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Fernando Ramos, “Secure and Dependable Multi-Cloud Network Virtualization”, in 1st International Workshop on Security and Dependability of Multi-Domain Infrastructures (XDOM0), Apr. 2017.
- André Nogueira, António Casimiro, Alysson Bessani, “Elastic State Machine Replication”, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Mar. 2017.
- Tiago Oliveira, Ricardo Mendes, Alysson Bessani, “Exploring Key-Value Stores in Multi-Writer Byzantine-Resilient Register Emulations”, in Proceedings of the 20th International Conference On Principles Of DIstributed Systems (OPODIS'16), Dec. 2016.
- M. Lacoste, M. Miettinen, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Fernando Ramos, M. Vukolic, F. Charmet, R. Yaich, K. Oborzynski, G. Vernekar, Paulo Sousa, “User-Centric Security and Dependability in the Clouds-of-Clouds”, IEEE Cloud Computing, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 64–75, Nov. 2016.
- Nuno Ferreira, “Preventing DoS attacks in multi-domain optical SDN”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Nov. 2016.
- André Mantas, “Consistent and Fault-Tolerant SDN Controller”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Nov. 2016.
- Luís Ferrolho, “Secure and Dependable Virtual Network Embedding”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Nov. 2016.
- Frederico Brito, “Fast Reroute Usig Segment Routing for Smart Grids”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Oct. 2016.
- Tiago Santos, “Deteção e Resposta a Intrusões em Dispositivos Móveis”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Oct. 2016.
|Miguel Falé||presents||Protecting WAP from infinite recursion|
|Henrique Mendes||present||Securing DLMS/COSEM implementations for use in the smart grid|
|Adriano Serckumecka||presents||Collection and monitoring of security events to feed SIEMs|
| Eric Vial, Max Alaluna,|
|present||Demonstration of Sirius, a Multi-Cloud Network Virtualization Platform|
|Nuno Neves||presents||Intrusion Tolerant Eclipse SCADA|
|Bruno Vavala||presents||Secure Tera-scale Data Crunching with a Small TCB|
|Tiago Oliveira||presents||Exploring Key-Value Stores in Multi-Writer Byzantine-Resilient Register Emulations|
|Max Alanuna||presents||Sehen: Secure Yet Efficient Virtual Network Embedding in a Multi-Cloud Environment|
| Altair Santin |
|presents|| Segurança para ambiente de Smart Grid
(Security for Smart Grid Environments)
|João Sousa||presents||Practical experiences with a BFT middleware database|
|José Rufino||presents||The (Hidden) Potential of Non-Intrusive Runtime Verification|
|Inês Gouveia||presents||Enforcing Safety and Security Through Non-Intrusive Runtime Verification|
Past Navtalk Events