We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Feb/2015) A new European project has started, called SUPERCLOUD - User-Centric Management of Security and Dependability in Cloud of Clouds
- (1/Oct/2014) A new European project has started, called SEGRID - Security for smart Electricity GRIDs
- Alysson Bessani, Ricardo Mendes, Tiago Oliveira, “On the Consistency of Heterogeneous Composite Objects”, in Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Principles and Practice of Consistency for Distributed Data - PaPoC 2015 (together with EuroSys'15), Bordeux, France, Apr. 2015.
- Tobias Distler, Christopher Bahn, Alysson Bessani, Frank Fischer, Flavio Junqueira, “Extensible Distributed Coordination”, in Proceedings of the Tenth ACM European Conference on Computer Systems - EuroSys '15, Bordeux, France, Apr. 2015.
- Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, “Detecting and Removing Web Application Vulnerabilities with Static Analysis and Data Mining”, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, accepted for publication, 2015.
- Diego Kreutz, Alysson Bessani, Eduardo Feitosa, Hugo Cunha, “Towards Secure and Dependable Authentication and Authorization Infrastructures”, in 20th IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC), Singapore, Nov. 2014.
- Eric Vial, António Casimiro, “Evaluation of Safety Rules in a Safety Kernel-Based Architecture”, in Workshop on Architecting Safety in Collaborative Mobile Systems (ASCoMS'14), SAFECOMP 2014 Workshops, A. Bondavalli et al., Eds., ser. LNCS. Florence, Italy: Springer International Publishing, Sept. 2014, pp. 27–35.
- Fabio Botelho, Alysson Bessani, Fernando Ramos, Paulo Ferreira, “On the Design of Practical Fault-Tolerant SDN Controllers”, in Third European Workshop on Software Defined Networks (EWSDN 2014), Sept. 2014.
- Fernando Alves, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Alysson Bessani, “Indexação sob Demanda para a Compressão Referencial de Ficheiros de ADN”, in Proceedings of the 6th Simpósio de Informática (INFORUM 2014), Salvador Pinto Abreu, João Pascoal Faria, Eds., Porto, Portugal, Sept. 2014, pp. 5–16.
- Gonçalo Jesus, Anabela Oliveira, António Casimiro, “Ensuring reliable measurements in remote aquatic sensor networks”, in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, New York City, USA, Aug. 2014.
- Tiago Oliveira, Ricardo Mendes, Alysson Bessani, “Sharing Files Using Cloud Storage Services”, in Second Workshop on Dependability and Interoperability in Heterogeneous Clouds (DIHC 2014), co-alocated with Euro-Par, Aug. 2014.
- Jeferson L. R. Souza, José Rufino, “Low Level Error Detection For Real-Time Wireless Communications”, in 13th International Workshop on Real-Time Networks (RTN) - In Conjunction with 26th Euromicro International Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS), Madrid, Spain, Jul. 2014.
Wednesday, 2015-May-06, 11h30-12h00, room C6.3.38
 (Smalltalk) Title: On the Performance of Byzantine Fault-Tolerant MapReduce
Presenter: Pedro Costa (Phd Student)
Friday, 2015-Apr-17, 12h15-14h00, room C6.3.38
Title: Desafios da EDP Distribuição nas redes inteligentes