We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Sep/2016) A H2020 research project lead by the Navigators group has started. The project is called: DiSIEM - Diversity enhancements for SIEMs
- (1/July/2016) We have initiated a new FCT research project. The project is called: IRCoC - Intelligent Resilience for Cloud-of-Clouds Services
- (1/Jan/2016) We have started a collaboration project with colleagues from Brasil, which is supported by CAPES-FCT. The project is called: Resilient Supervision and Control in Smart Grids
- Luís Ferrolho, “Secure and Dependable Virtual Network Embedding”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Nov. 2016.
- Nuno Pereira, “A Knowledge-based, Secure and Dependable Self-Healing Architecture for the Smart Grid”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Oct. 2016.
- Frederico Brito, “Fast Reroute Usig Segment Routing for Smart Grids”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Oct. 2016.
- Ibéria Medeiros, “Detection of Vulnerabilities and Automatic Protection for Web Applications”, Ph.D. dissertation, Doutoramento em Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Sept. 2016.
- Alysson Bessani, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Paulo Verissimo, Wagner Saback Dantas, Alexandre Fonseca, Rui Silva, Pedro Luz, Miguel Correia, “JITeR: Just-In-Time Application-Layer Routing”, Computer Networks, vol. 104, pp. 122–136, Jul. 2016.
- Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, “DEKANT: A Static Analysis Tool that Learns to Detect Web Application Vulnerabilities”, in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (ISSTA), Jul. 2016.
- Pedro M. Ferreira, “Unsupervised Entropy-Based Selection of Data Sets for Improved Model Fitting”, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (World Congress on Computational Intelligence), Vancouver, Canada, Jul. 2016.
- Bruno Vavala, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Peter Steenkiste, “Secure Identification of Actively Executed Code on a Generic Trusted Component”, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), Jun. 2016.
- Max Alaluna, Fernando Ramos, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “(Literally) above the clouds: Virtualizing the network over multiple clouds”, in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Network Softwarization (NetSoft), Jun. 2016.
- Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, “Equipping WAP with Weapons to Detect Vulnerabilities”, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), Jun. 2016.
|Pedro Costa||presents||Chrysaor: Fine-Grained, Fault-Tolerant Cloud-of-Clouds MapReduce|
|Vinicius Cogo||presents||Getting Started on LSH|
|Ricardo Mendes||presents||Janus: User-defined Cloud-backed Storage|
|Alysson Bessani||presents||Dependable Storage and Computing using Multiple Cloud Providers|
|Túlio Ribeiro||presents||Floodlight Tracing, Durable and Fault Tolerant|
|Fernando Ramos||presents||No more excuses: it’s time to secure BGP!|
|Miguel Garcia||presents||On the Origin of Diversity, by Means of Cluster Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured OSes in the Struggle for Dependability|
|Eric Vial||presents||Packet Manipulation Tools for Linux|
|Ricardo Fonseca||presents||Securing SDN-based monitoring - obstacles and learned insights|
Past Navtalk Events