We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Feb/2015) A new European project has started, called SUPERCLOUD - User-Centric Management of Security and Dependability in Cloud of Clouds
- (1/Oct/2014) A new European project has started, called SEGRID - Security for smart Electricity GRIDs
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Alysson Bessani, Francisco M. Couto, Paulo Verissimo, “A High-Throughput Method to Detect Privacy-Sensitive Human Genomic Data”, in Proceedings of the Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society (WPES 2015), Denver, CO, US, Oct. 2015.
- João Sousa, Alysson Bessani, “Separating the WHEAT from the Chaff: An Empirical Design for Geo-Replicated State Machines”, in Proceedings of the 34th Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Sept. 2015.
- Alysson Bessani, Jörgen Brandt, Marc Bux, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Lora Dimitrova, Jim Dowling, Ali Gholami, Kamal Hakimzadeh, Michael Hummel, Mahmoud Ismail, Erwin Laure, Ulf Leser, Jan-Eric Litton, Roxanna Martinez, Jane Reichel, Salman Niazi, Karin Zimmermann, “BiobankCloud: a Platform for the Secure Storage, Sharing, and Processing of Large Biomedical Data Sets”, in Proceedings of the 1st Int. Workshop on Data Management and Analytics for Medicine and Healthcare (DMAH 2015), Hawaii, US, Sept. 2015.
- Rui Pedro Caldeira, Jeferson L. R. Souza, Ricardo Correia Pinto, José Rufino, “A Tool for Real-Time Assessment of IEEE 802.15.4 Networks Through Fault Injection”, in Proceedings of the 7th Simpósio de Informática (INFORUM), Covilhã, Portugal, Sept. 2015.
- Fernando Alves, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Sebastian Wandelt, Ulf Leser, Alysson Bessani, “On-Demand Indexing for Referential Compression of DNA Sequences”, PLoS ONE, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. e0132460, Jul. 2015.
- Alysson Bessani, Ricardo Mendes, Tiago Oliveira, “On the Consistency of Heterogeneous Composite Objects”, in Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Principles and Practice of Consistency for Distributed Data - co-located with EuroSys, Bordeux, France, Apr. 2015.
- Tobias Distler, Christopher Bahn, Alysson Bessani, Frank Fischer, Flavio Junqueira, “Extensible Distributed Coordination”, in Proceedings of the 10th ACM European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys), Bordeux, France, Apr. 2015.
- Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, “Detecting and Removing Web Application Vulnerabilities with Static Analysis and Data Mining”, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, accepted for publication, 2015.
- Jeferson L. R. Souza, José Rufino, “The Wi-STARK Architecture For Resilient Real-Time Wireless Communications”, ACM SIGBED Review, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1–6, Dec. 2014.
- Ricardo Correia Pinto, José Rufino, “Exploiting Non-intrusive Monitoring in Real-Time Embedded Operating Systems”, in Proceedings of the 4th Embedded Operating Systems Workshop (EWiLi) - Poster Session, Lisbon, Portugal, Nov. 2014, pp. 1–2.
Friday, 2015-June-25, 11h30-12h00 , room C6.3.38
Title: Trusted Distributed Processing Over a Large State
Presenter: Bruno Vavala
Friday, 2015-June-05, 12h15-14h00, room C6.3.38
Title: SDN-based Network Monitoring Under Attack
Presenter: Ricardo Fonseca
Title: Fault Tolerant Precision Time Protocol for Smart Grids