We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Sep/2016) A H2020 research project lead by the Navigators group has started. The project is called: DiSIEM - Diversity enhancements for SIEMs
- (1/July/2016) We have initiated a new FCT research project. The project is called: IRCoC - Intelligent Resilience for Cloud-of-Clouds Services
- (1/Jan/2016) We have started a collaboration project with colleagues from Brasil, which is supported by CAPES-FCT. The project is called: Resilient Supervision and Control in Smart Grids
- Tiago Oliveira, Ricardo Mendes, Alysson Bessani, “Exploring Key-Value Stores in Multi-Writer Byzantine-Resilient Register Emulations”, in Proceedings of the 20th International Conference On Principles Of DIstributed Systems (OPODIS'16), Dec. 2016.
- M. Lacoste, M. Miettinen, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Fernando Ramos, M. Vukolic, F. Charmet, R. Yaich, K. Oborzynski, G. Vernekar, Paulo Sousa, “User-Centric Security and Dependability in the Clouds-of-Clouds”, IEEE Cloud Computing, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 64–75, Nov. 2016.
- André Mantas, “Consistent and Fault-Tolerant SDN Controller”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Nov. 2016.
- Luís Ferrolho, “Secure and Dependable Virtual Network Embedding”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Nov. 2016.
- Nuno Pereira, “A Knowledge-based, Secure and Dependable Self-Healing Architecture for the Smart Grid”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Oct. 2016.
- Frederico Brito, “Fast Reroute Usig Segment Routing for Smart Grids”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Oct. 2016.
- Joel Alcântara, “Low-cost Cloud-based Disaster Recovery for Transactional Databases”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Sept. 2016.
- André Correia, Pedro M. Ferreira, Alysson Bessani, “Descoberta de Ameaças de Segurança através do Twitter”, in Proceedings of Inforum'2016, Simpósio de Informática, Lisboa, Portugal, Sept. 2016.
- Ibéria Medeiros, “Detection of Vulnerabilities and Automatic Protection for Web Applications”, Ph.D. dissertation, Doutoramento em Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Sept. 2016.
- Fábio Botelho, Túlio Ribeiro, Paulo Ferreira, Fernando Ramos, Alysson Bessani, “Design and Implementation of a Consistent Datastore for a Distributed SDN Control Plane”, in Proceedings of The 12th European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC), Sept. 2016.
|José Rufino||presents||The (Hidden) Potential of Non-Intrusive Runtime Verification|
|Inês Gouveia||presents||Enforcing Safety and Security Through Non-Intrusive Runtime Verification|
|Fernando Alves||presents||Machine Learning with Big Data - Specialized distributed systems for machine learning purposes|
|Ibéria Medeiros||presents||Attacks, you shall not pass! SEPTIC will not avail you.|
|Pedro Costa||presents||Chrysaor: Fine-Grained, Fault-Tolerant Cloud-of-Clouds MapReduce|
|Vinicius Cogo||presents||Getting Started on LSH|
|Ricardo Mendes||presents||Janus: User-defined Cloud-backed Storage|
|Alysson Bessani||presents||Dependable Storage and Computing using Multiple Cloud Providers|
|Túlio Ribeiro||presents||Floodlight Tracing, Durable and Fault Tolerant|
|Fernando Ramos||presents||No more excuses: it’s time to secure BGP!|
|Miguel Garcia||presents||On the Origin of Diversity, by Means of Cluster Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured OSes in the Struggle for Dependability|
|Eric Vial||presents||Packet Manipulation Tools for Linux|
|Ricardo Fonseca||presents||Securing SDN-based monitoring - obstacles and learned insights|
Past Navtalk Events