We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- Diego Kreutz, Alysson Bessani, Eduardo Feitosa, Hugo Cunha, “Towards Secure and Dependable Authentication and Authorization Infrastructures”, in 20th IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC), Singapore, Nov. 2014.
- Eric Vial, António Casimiro, “Evaluation of Safety Rules in a Safety Kernel-Based Architecture”, in Workshop on Architecting Safety in Collaborative Mobile Systems (ASCoMS'14), SAFECOMP 2014 Workshops, A. Bondavalli et al., Eds., ser. LNCS. Florence, Italy: Springer International Publishing, Sept. 2014, pp. 27–35.
- Gonçalo Jesus, Anabela Oliveira, António Casimiro, “Ensuring reliable measurements in remote aquatic sensor networks”, in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, New York City, USA, Aug. 2014.
- Ricardo Correia Pinto, José Rufino, “Towards Non-invasive Run-time Verification of Real-Time Systems”, in Work-in-Progress Session of the 26th Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS), Madrid, Spain, Jul. 2014, pp. 25–28.
- Jeferson L. R. Souza, José Rufino, “Low Level Error Detection For Real-Time Wireless Communications”, in 13th International Workshop on Real-Time Networks (RTN) - In Conjunction with 26th Euromicro International Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS), Madrid, Spain, Jul. 2014.
- Fernando Alves, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Alysson Bessani, “Indexação sob Demanda para a Compressão Referencial de Ficheiros de ADN”, in 6th Simpósio de Informática (INFORUM), Porto, Portugal, Jul. 2014.
- Filipe Araujo, Serhiy Boychenko, Raul Barbosa, António Casimiro, “Replica placement to mitigate attacks on clouds”, Journal of Internet Services and Applications, vol. 5, no. 1, Jul. 2014.
- Alysson Bessani, João Sousa, Eduardo Alchieri, “State Machine Replication for the Masses with BFT-SMART”, in 44th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), Atlanta, USA, Jun. 2014.
- David Matos, Nuno Neves, Alysson Bessani, “SITAN: Services for Ad Hoc Networks with Unknown Participants”, in Fast Abstract at the 44th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), Atlanta, USA, Jun. 2014.
- António Casimiro, Oscar Morales-Ponce, Thomas Petig, Elad M. Schiller, “Vehicular Coordination via a Safety Kernel in the Gulliver Test-bed (Invited Paper)”, in The Thirteenth International Workshop on Assurance in Distributed Systems and Networks (ADSN 2014), Proceedings of the 34th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, Madrid, Spain, Jun. 2014.