We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- André Guerreiro, Jeferson L. R. Souza, José Rufino, “Improving NS-2 Network Simulator To Evaluate IEEE 802.15.4 Wireless Networks Under Error Conditions”, in 3th International Conference on Sensor Networks (SENSORNETS), Lisbon, Portugal, Jan. 2014.
- Paulo Verissimo, Alysson Bessani, “E-biobanking: What Have You Done to My Cell Samples?”, IEEE Security & Privacy, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 62–65, Dec. 2013.
- Pedro Nóbrega da Costa, “Safety Kernel for Cooperative Sensor-Based Systems”, Master’s thesis, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal, Nov. 2013.
- Jeferson L. R. Souza, José Rufino, “Analysing and Reducing Network Inaccessibility in IEEE 802.15.4 Wireless Communications”, in 38th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN 2013), Sydney, Australia, Oct. 2013.
- André Guerreiro, Jeferson L. R. Souza, José Rufino, “Improving NS-2 Network Simulator for IEEE 802.15.4 Standard Operation”, in 5th Simpósio de Informática (INFORUM), Évora, Portugal, Sept. 2013.
- Luís Marques, António Casimiro, “Fighting Uncertainty in Highly Dynamic Wireless Sensor Networks with Probabilistic Models”, in 32nd International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS 2013), Braga, Portugal, Sept. 2013.
- Kleomar Almeida, Ricardo Correia Pinto, José Rufino, “Fault Detection in Time- and Space-Partitioned Systems”, Communication in 5th Simpósio de Informática (INFORUM), Évora, Portugal, Sept. 2013.
- Pedro Nóbrega da Costa, João Pedro Craveiro, António Casimiro, José Rufino, “Safety Kernel for Cooperative Sensor-Based Systems”, in Safecomp 2013 Workshop on Architecting Safety in Collaborative Mobile Systems (ASCoMS), Toulouse, France, Sept. 2013.
- Diego Kreutz, Fernando Ramos, Paulo Verissimo, “Towards Secure and Dependable Software-Defined Networks”, in ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Software Defined Networking (HotSDN), Hong Kong, China, Aug. 2013.
- João Pedro Craveiro, José Rufino, “Global Laxity-Based Scheduling on Multiprocessor Resource Reservations”, Extended Abstract in 4th International Real-Time Scheduling Open Problems Seminar (RTSOPS 2013), Paris, France, Jul. 2013.