We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- Diego Kreutz, Alysson Bessani, Eduardo Feitosa, Hugo Cunha, “Towards Secure and Dependable Authentication and Authorization Infrastructures”, in The 20th IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC 2014), Nov. 2014.
- Jeferson L. R. Souza, José Rufino, “Low Level Error Detection For Real-Time Wireless Communications”, in 13th International Workshop on Real-Time Networks (RTN) - In Conjunction with 26th Euromicro International Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS), Jul. 2014.
- Ricardo Correia Pinto, José Rufino, “Towards Non-invasive Run-time Verification of Real-Time Systems”, in Work-in-Progress Session of the 26th Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS 2014), Madrid, Spain, Jul. 2014, pp. 25–28.
- Diego Kreutz, Fernando Ramos, Paulo Verissimo, “Anchors of Trust for Autonomic and Secure Configuration and Assessment in SDN (Fast Abstract)”, in The 44th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2014), Jun. 2014.
- Alysson Bessani, Ricardo Mendes, Tiago Oliveira, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, Marcelo Pasin, Paulo Verissimo, “SCFS: A Shared Cloud-backed File System”, in Proceedings of the 2014 USENIX Annual Technical Conference, Philadelphia, PA, US, Jun. 2014.
- Alysson Bessani, João Sousa, Eduardo Alchieri, “State Machine Replication for the Masses with BFT-SMART”, in Proceedings of the 44th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2014), Atlanta, Georgia USA, Jun. 2014.
- Alysson Bessani, Eduardo Alchieri, “A Guided Tour on the Theory and Practice of State Machine Replication”, May 2014.
- Alysson Bessani, João Sousa, Eduardo Alchieri, “BFT-SMART: Uma Ferramenta Robusta para Replicação Máquina de Estados”, May 2014.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Alysson Bessani, “BiobankCloud - Platform as a Service for Biobanking”, May 2014.
- André Guerreiro, Jeferson L. R. Souza, José Rufino, “Improving NS-2 Network Simulator To Evaluate IEEE 802.15.4 Wireless Networks Under Error Conditions”, in 3th International Conference on Sensor Networks (SENSORNETS), Lisbon, Portugal, Jan. 2014.