We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (11/Apr/2018) Based on the final demonstration of the Supercloud project last month, here is a video about Sirius, the multi-cloud network virtualization platform.
- (1/Oct/2017) NavTalks seminars have started for a new year of discussions!
- José Rufino, “Non-intrusive Observation and Runtime Verification of Avionic Systems”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, Dec. 2018.
- José Rufino, “Hardware Support for Non-intrusive Runtime Verification on Processor Technologies”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, Dec. 2018.
- Ivo Vacas, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Detecting Network Threats using OSINT Knowledge-based IDS”, in Proceedings of the 14th European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC), Sept. 2018.
- Paulo Nunes, Ibéria Medeiros, José Fonseca, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, Marco Vieira, “An Empirical Study on Combining Diverse Static Analysis Tools for Web Security Vulnerabilities based on Development Scenarios”, Computing, Sept. 2018.
- João lopes, Ibéria Medeiros, Sérgio Sá, “Infraestrutura de Chaves Públicas suportando Assinaturas na Cloud baseadas no eIDAS”, in Proceedings of the 10th Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2018), Coimbra, Portugal, Sept. 2018.
- Rui Azevedo, Ibéria Medeiros, Alysson Bessani, “Automated Solution for Enrichment and Quality IoC Creation from OSINT”, in Proceedings of the 10th Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2018), Coimbra, Portugal, Sept. 2018.
- Paulo Antunes, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Remoção Automática de Vulnerabilidades usando Análise Estática de Código Direcionada”, in Proceedings of the 10th Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2018), Coimbra, Portugal, Sept. 2018.
- Luis Sacramento, Ibéria Medeiros, João Bota, Miguel Correia, “FlowHacker: Detecting Unknown Network Attacks in Big Traffic Data using Network Flows”, in Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), Jul. 2018.
- José Rufino, Felix Dino Lange, Martin Leucker, Torben Scheffel, Malte Schmitz, Daniel Thoma, António Casimiro, “Non-intrusive Runtime Verification within a System-on-Chip”, Ada User Journal, Jun. 2018.
- Roberto Ponte, Ibéria Medeiros, Miguel Correia, “Fuzzing Ethereum Smart Contracts (research statement)”, in DSN Workshop on Byzantine Consensus and Resilient Blockchains (BCRB), Jun. 2018.