uPVN: User-centric Programmable Virtual Networks
- Research Line(s): Fault and Intrusion Tolerance in Open Distributed Systems (FIT)
- Sponsor: FCT
- Total award amount: 225K Euros
- Coordinator: Fernando Ramos
- Start Date: Oct. 2018
- Duration: 36 months
- Keywords: virtual networks, programmable networks
- Team at FCUL: 4 researchers, including Fernando Ramos, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Rui Marques
Recent network virtualization platforms offer a full decoupling of the virtual networks and the physical infrastructure. Unfortunately, their provider-centric design has limitations in terms of scalability, security, and dependability, and is restrictive in the services offered. To address these limitations, we propose a platform that creates user-centric virtual networks, over a substrate that entails both public clouds and private datacenters. Following the recent trend on data plane programmability, our user-centric virtual networks are fully programmable: users can customize the packet processing of all network elements with a high level language. To achieve these objectives we innovate in various areas, from network compilation to algorithms for embedding and orchestration. By empowering users and companies with provider-independence and unprecedented customizability of their virtual networks, we expect our solution to foster innovation and motivate new business opportunities.
- Rui Marques, Salvatore Signorello, Fernando Ramos, “Named Data Networking with Programmable Switches”, in 1st P4 European Workhop, Sept. 2018.
BibTeXNavigators - uPVN project
|Current projects:||DiSIEM, SEAL, AQUAMON, UPVN, IRCoC, NORTH, Abyss, COST Action IC1402|
|Past projects:||TCLOUDS, MASSIF, MAFTIA, RESIST NoE, KARYON, HIDENETS, CORTEX, CRUTIAL, TRONE, SITAN, ReD, DIVERSE, CloudFIT, READAPT, REGENESYS, RC-Clouds, TACID, DARIO, RITAS, AJECT, MICRA, DEAR-COTS, COPE, DEFEATS, MOOSCO, TOPCOM, SUPERCLOUD, SEGRID, BioBankCloud, PROPHECY, SAPIENT, SecFuNet, FTH-Grid, AIR-II, AIR, ESFORS, CaberNet, GODC, BROADCAST, CoDiCom, Delta-4, RAPTOR|