NORTH: Non-intrusive Observation and RunTime verification of cyber-pHysical systems
- Research Line(s): Timeliness and Adaptation in Dependable Systems (TADS)
- Sponsor: FCT / Campus France
- Project Number: Bilateral cooperation
- Coordinator: José Rufino (PT) / Frank Singhoff (FR)
- Partners: UBO - Université de Bretagne Occidentale, Lab-STICC UMR CNRS 6285, Brest (FR)
- Start Date: Jan. 2017
- Duration: 24 months
- Keywords: Formal Methods; Modelling and Temporal Logics; Non-Intrusive Observation; Runtime Verification; Cyber-Physical Systems.
- Team at FCUL: 4 researchers, including José Rufino, Antónia Lopes, António Casimiro, Inês Gouveia
- Team at UBO: 6 researchers including Frank Singhoff, Laurent Lemarchant, Stéphane Rubini, Alain Plantec, Jalil Boukhobza, Mourad Dridi.
- Funded by:
The increase use of autonomous vehicles and other cyber-physical systems has been motivating the adoption of Runtime Verification (RV) techniques for embedded system platforms. This stems from the criticality of such systems, which call for the assurance of correct operation, both on value and time domains. However, traditional RV techniques (mostly based on code instrumentation) may inevitably pose significant overheads – both in performance and timeliness – due to their inherent intrusiveness, which make them clearly unfit for critical systems.
This project aims at advancing the state of the art in RV techniques by researching innovative (self-)adaptive observation and runtime verification methods, supported in non-intrusive monitoring machinery. The negative effects of traditional techniques (ranging from function call interception to source code annotation with observation points) are avoided, thus making this novel approach relevant to virtually all (critical) cyber-physical systems.
- Kickoff Meeting, FCUL - FCiências.ID (LaSIGE), Lisboa (PT), May 24-25, 2017. Agenda.
- António Casimiro, Inês Gouveia, José Rufino, “Enforcing Timeliness and Safety in Mission-Critical Systems”, in Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, Ada-Europe 2017, Vienna, Austria, Jun. 2017. (accepted for publication)
- Inês Gouveia, José Rufino, “Enforcing safety and security through non-intrusive runtime verification”, in Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Security and Dependability of Critical Embedded Real-Time Systems (CERTS), Porto, Portugal, Dec. 2016, pp. 19–24. (co-located with the IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium 2016 (RTSS 2016))
BibTeXNavigators - NORTH project
|Current projects:||DiSIEM, IRCoC, NORTH, Abyss, SUPERCLOUD, COST Action IC1402, SEGRID|
|Past projects:||TCLOUDS, MASSIF, MAFTIA, RESIST NoE, KARYON, HIDENETS, CORTEX, CRUTIAL, TRONE, SITAN, ReD, DIVERSE, CloudFIT, READAPT, REGENESYS, RC-Clouds, TACID, DARIO, RITAS, AJECT, MICRA, DEAR-COTS, COPE, DEFEATS, MOOSCO, TOPCOM, BioBankCloud, PROPHECY, SAPIENT, SecFuNet, FTH-Grid, AIR-II, AIR, ESFORS, CaberNet, GODC, BROADCAST, CoDiCom, Delta-4, RAPTOR|