We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (11/Apr/2018) Based on the final demonstration of the Supercloud project last month, here is a video about Sirius, the multi-cloud network virtualization platform.
- (1/Oct/2017) NavTalks seminars have started for a new year of discussions!
- Miguel Garcia, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Alysson Bessani, “SieveQ: A Layered BFT Protection System for Critical Services”, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 511–525, Jun. 2018.
- Georg Jäger, Sebastian Zug, António Casimiro, “Generic Sensor Failure Modeling for Cooperative Systems”, Sensors, vol. 18, no. 925, Mar. 2018.
- André Nogueira, Miguel Garcia, Alysson Bessani, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “On the Challenges of Building a BFT SCADA,”, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), 2018, pp. 8.
- Miguel Falé, “Improving Vulnerability Detection of WAP”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Dec. 2017.
- Arjuna Sathiaseelan, Mennan Selimi, Carlos Molina, Adisorn Lertsinsrubtavee, Leandro Navarro, Felix Freitag, Fernando Ramos, Roger Baig, “Towards Decentralised Resilient Community Clouds”, in 2nd Workshop on Middleware for Edge Clouds & Cloudlets, Nov. 2017.
- Diego Kreutz, Jiangshan Yu, Paulo Verissimo, Fernando Ramos, Cátia Magalhães, “The KISS principle in Software-Defined Networking: a framework for secure communications”, IEEE Security & Privacy, Nov. 2017.
- Pedro Costa, “Dependable MapReduce in a Cloud-of-Clouds”, Ph.D. dissertation, Doutoramento em Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Nov. 2017.
- Fabio Pereira, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Fernando Ramos, “Secure Network Monitoring Using Programmable Data Planes”, in Third International Workshop on Security in NFV-SDN (IEEE NFV-SDN 2017), Nov. 2017.
- Ivo Vacas, Ibéria Medeiros, “Geração Automática de Conhecimento para SDI extraído de OSINTs”, in Proceedings of the 9th Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2017), Aveiro, Portugal, Oct. 2017.
- Miguel Falé, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Resolução de Dependências Circulares em Inclusão de Código em Análise Estática de Código”, in Proceedings of the 9th Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2017), Aveiro, Portugal, Oct. 2017.
|Nuno Dionisio||presents||Improving Cyberthreat Discovery in Open Source Intelligence using Deep Learning Techniques|
|Pedro Ferreira||presents||Artificial Intelligence for Agricultural Production in Protected Environments|
|Paulo Antunes||presents||Monitoring Web Applications for Vulnerability Removal Under Attack|
|Adriano Serckumecka||presents||Putting SIEMs in the Cloud|
|Fernando Alves||presents||OSINT-Based Data-Driven Cybersecurity Discovery|
|Aurélien Bettini||presents||Representation and generation of IoC extracted from OSINT|
Past Navtalk Events