We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Oct/2017) NavTalks seminars have started for a new year of discussions!
- José Rufino, “Non-intrusive Observation and Runtime Verification of Avionic Systems”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, Dec. 2018.
- José Rufino, “Hardware Support for Non-intrusive Runtime Verification on Processor Technologies”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, Dec. 2018.
- Diego Kreutz, Jiangshan Yu, Paulo Verissimo, Fernando Ramos, Cátia Magalhães, “The KISS principle in Software-Defined Networking: a framework for secure communications”, IEEE Security & Privacy, Oct. 2018.
- Paulo Antunes, “Monitoring Web Applications for Vulnerability Discovery and Removal under Attack”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Oct. 2018.
- Ivo Vacas, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Detecting Network Threats using OSINT Knowledge-based IDS”, in Proceedings of the 14th European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC), Sept. 2018.
- Paulo Nunes, Ibéria Medeiros, José Fonseca, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, Marco Vieira, “An Empirical Study on Combining Diverse Static Analysis Tools for Web Security Vulnerabilities based on Development Scenarios”, Computing, Sept. 2018.
- João lopes, Ibéria Medeiros, Sérgio Sá, “Infraestrutura de Chaves Públicas suportando Assinaturas na Cloud baseadas no eIDAS”, in Proceedings of the 10th Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2018), Coimbra, Portugal, Sept. 2018.
- José Soares, “Migration of networks in a multi-cloud environment”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Sept. 2018.
- Pedro Maia, “Resilient Communications in Smart Grids”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Sept. 2018.
- Rui Azevedo, Ibéria Medeiros, Alysson Bessani, “Automated Solution for Enrichment and Quality IoC Creation from OSINT”, in Proceedings of the 10th Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2018), Coimbra, Portugal, Sept. 2018.
|Eduardo Viegas (PUCPR)||presents||Network-based Intrusion Detection: on Protecting a Moving Target|
|Ricardo Fonseca||presents||Demonstration of resilient communications in the context of a smart grid|
|Alysson Bessani||presents||How to do Research in Navigators/LASIGE|
|Oliver Michel (guest speaker)||presents||Network Defragmentation in Virtualized Data Centers|
Past Navtalk Events