We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Sep/2016) A H2020 research project lead by the Navigators group has started. The project is called: DiSIEM - Diversity enhancements for SIEMs
- (1/July/2016) We have initiated a new FCT research project. The project is called: IRCoC - Intelligent Resilience for Cloud-of-Clouds Services
- (1/Jan/2016) We have started a collaboration project with colleagues from Brasil, which is supported by CAPES-FCT. The project is called: Resilient Supervision and Control in Smart Grids
- Ivo Vacas, Ibéria Medeiros, “Geração Automática de Conhecimento para SDI extraído de OSINTs”, in Proceedings of the 9th Simpósio de Informática, INForum 2017, Aveiro, Portugal, Oct. 2017.
- Miguel Falé, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Resolução de Dependências Circulares em Inclusão de Código em Análise Estática de Código”, in Proceedings of the 9th Simpósio de Informática, INForum 2017, Aveiro, Portugal, Oct. 2017.
- João de Sousa Alves, José Rufino, “Comparing the inaccessibility characteristics of CAN and CAN FD protocols”, in Atas do 9º Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2017), Aveiro, Portugal, Oct. 2017.
- Fabio Pereira, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Fernando Ramos, “Secure Network Monitoring Using Programmable Data Planes”, in Third International Workshop on Security in NFV-SDN (IEEE NFV-SDN 2017), Oct. 2017.
- Paulo Nunes, Ibéria Medeiros, José Fonseca, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, Marco Vieira, “On Combining Diverse Static Analysis Tools for Web Security: An Empirical Study”, in Proceedings of the 13th European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC), Sept. 2017.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Alysson Bessani, Francisco M. Couto, Margarida Gama-Carvalho, Maria Fernandes, Paulo Esteves-Verissimo, “How can photo sharing inspire sharing genomes?”, in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Practical Applications of Computational Biology & Bioinformatics (PACBB'17), Porto, Portugal, Jun. 2017.
- Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Beatriz, Miguel Correia, “Demonstrating a Tool for Injection Attack Prevention in MySQL”, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN)., Jun. 2017.
- António Casimiro, Inês Gouveia, José Rufino, “Enforcing Timeliness and Safety in Mission-Critical Systems”, in Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, Ada-Europe 2017, Vienna, Austria, Jun. 2017.
- Bruno Vavala, Nuno Neves, Peter Steenkiste, “Secure Tera-scale Data Crunching with a Small TCB”, in Proceedings of the 47th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems & Networks (DSN), Jun. 2017.
- Pedro Costa, Fernando Ramos, Miguel Correia, “Chrysaor: Fine-Grained, Fault-Tolerant Cloud-of-Clouds MapReduce”, in IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), May 2017. Best student paper award
|Bruno Nunes||presents||Live Migration of Networks|
|Pedro Alves||presents||Smarter Routing for a Smarter Grid|
|Antonio Casimiro||presents||Enforcing Timeliness and Safety in Mission-Critical Systems|
|Eunice Branco||presents||Cyberthreat Discovery in Open Source Intelligence using Deep Learning Techniques|
|Miguel Falé||presents||Protecting WAP from infinite recursion|
|Henrique Mendes||presents||Securing DLMS/COSEM implementations for use in the smart grid|
|Adriano Serckumecka||presents||Collection and monitoring of security events to feed SIEMs|
| Eric Vial, Max Alaluna,|
|present||Demonstration of Sirius, a Multi-Cloud Network Virtualization Platform|
|Nuno Neves||presents||Intrusion Tolerant Eclipse SCADA|
|Bruno Vavala||presents||Secure Tera-scale Data Crunching with a Small TCB|
|Tiago Oliveira||presents||Exploring Key-Value Stores in Multi-Writer Byzantine-Resilient Register Emulations|
|Max Alanuna||presents||Sehen: Secure Yet Efficient Virtual Network Embedding in a Multi-Cloud Environment|
| Altair Santin |
|presents|| Segurança para ambiente de Smart Grid
(Security for Smart Grid Environments)
|João Sousa||presents||Practical experiences with a BFT middleware database|
|José Rufino||presents||The (Hidden) Potential of Non-Intrusive Runtime Verification|
|Inês Gouveia||presents||Enforcing Safety and Security Through Non-Intrusive Runtime Verification|
Past Navtalk Events